Thursday 26 March 2009

the power of love

It’s strange to admit this: I feel like I’m learning to receive love for the first time in my life.

I’ve had a rough week, with poisons, and then more poisons to counter their side effects, leaving my body feeling like it’s been hit by a bus. My animal, instinctive, spirit seems to be crying out: ‘let me out of here!’ And yet, I am discovering a strange cocoon of love, not deliberate love in reaction to my distress but the background level of love that we take for granted every day of our lives. Not a day passes without a gesture of kindness – an invite to a cup of tea, a postcard from a cousin, a friend dropping in with another book by Barbara Kingsolver, a bunch of liberated daffodils 'liberated' from the park, someone crossing the road to hug me when I’m feeling my most unlovable. It’s an inescapable tidal wave of love!

Last week, Matthew, a teacher from Lewes New School, which I put a lot of my own heart into some years ago, did a sponsored 100-mile bike ride to raise money for our family to spend on ourselves, a holiday perhaps. They pooled £1000! Yes, I am in awe of the power of love, a tangible spiritual force that is so much more powerful than any of the transient concerns of my body or what the politicians and news creators would have us believe.

And love is what’s going to get us through this time of great change. I’m convinced of that now. It’s time to stand up for what we love, and I am planning to contribute to the shindig (it’s not really a protest is it when you’re having so much fun?) on 1 April highlighting the problem of the G20 so-called leaders trying to keep the show on the road at all costs. The wonderful Marina Pepper - above - who is leading the Black Horsemen of the Apocalypse (meeting at Cannon St at 11 - see you on the 9.17 from Lewes with flowers or a pillow – don’t ask), sent this video, One Love. Cos that’s what it’s all about isn’t it? That’s the real agenda.

No comments: